We kick off 2017 with our third release and first 12”. The A-Side is from none other than Symmetry Recordings maestro Break, with the B-Side from label boss Exposure featuring the vocals of Mark Douglas.
The A-Side entitled ‘Solvent’ is a ten tonne banger. A haunting arp lead builds with sci-fi fx to the drop which delivers punchy but clinical drums with a battering wall of bass, showcasing Break’s classic harder edge techy production. The ultimate set opener.
The B-Side ‘Regrets’ complements the flip perfectly. Melancholic piano chords and Mark Douglas’ vocals captivate from the outset. Accompanied by layers of crisp breaks, the drop is deep and full of energy. The track winds and weaves throughout, with strings, piano and vox taking you on a rollercoaster ride. A real masterpiece.
This release sets a precedent for A R Records and is a glimpse of what’s just round the corner. Both producers hail from Bristol; Break has been amongst the very highest echelons of the Drum and Bass scene for many years, with releases on most of the major labels, while Exposure has just exploded onto the scene, keen to make an imprint with his unique sound. The two tracks showcase just a slice of the two producers’ sounds, the more melodic ‘Regrets’ from Exposure in stark contrast to the hard hitting ‘Solvent’ on the A-Side.
‘Solvent’ / ‘Regrets’ is out on 12” vinyl and digital from all good record shops 17.02.17.
Following up from Exposure’s debut release on A R Records back in July, we’ve got 20 year-old Luke Nicholls aka Precision, with two hard hitting dancefloor tracks: Underground and D.O.S on the flip featuring the vocals of MC Jolla.
The A-Side Underground showcases Precision’s flawless production skills with super tight, punchy drums and a deadly deep bassline that is guaranteed to do damage on any dancefloor. With a haunting pad and an old-school sounding vocal sample which features throughout, this has future classic status written all over it.
The flip entitled D.O.S features MC Jolla on vocals. The intro is set with an epic atmosphere over the drums and Jolla’s vocal which fade in with politically astute lyrics: “Are we ready? Reach a triumph over oil giants- defiance over silence”. The drop smacks a heavy blow with brutal sub bass, while the intricate percussion and jungle breaks keeps things rolling.
Precision’s sound is true to his name. Expect super clean mixdowns and unique hooks, something which resembles classic Quarantine tunes of old, but at the same time bringing forward new ideas, constantly innovating and keeping things well up to date.
The A-side track, Delicate Lives, features the super smooth, soulful vocals of London-based singer songwriter Sula Mae. With a background in folk, Sula’s voice floats effortlessly amongst crisp beats and soothing rhodes piano chords while the rolling drums and deep twisting bass drive a dancefloor orientated groove.
The B-side track, Sacrifice, exhibits Exposure’s love for harder hitting Drum and Bass. The atmosphere’s set from the off with an epic intro sample, followed up by hard-hitting, punchy drums. Snippets of vocals are layered throughout to give a real funk and swing to the rhythm, while the relentless bass and haunting pads keep the vibe up front and moody.
Exposure says: “I’m really excited about this release. Since launching the label last October I’ve been putting in some serious hours in the studio and Delicate Lives / Sacrifice is the first of many tunes to represent what we’re all about. We’re working with some incredibly talented producers and I can’t wait to showcase their work.”
Working with some of the most talented and upcoming producers, as well as long established players in the scene, 2016 looks set be an exciting year for A R.
To celebrate the launch of A R Audio, label boss Exposure has put together a fast and furious mix, spanning the whole spectrum of Drum and Bass on 3 turntables and 2 CDJs, featuring fresh new music and forthcoming releases from the label.
01. Break feat Singing Fats- Free Your Mind (Symmetry Recordings)
02. Taxman- Too Bad VIP (True Playaz)
03. Antrax- Horns 2015 (dub)
04. Mefjus feat Zoe Clinck- Blame U (Critical Recordings)
06. Badmash and Shri- Signs- Calibre remix (Outcaste)
07. Audio- Peepshow VIP (Virus Recordings)
08. The Illuminated- Truth & Right (Exposure bootleg)
09. Break- Top Shooter (Symmetry Recordings)
10. Logistics- Together VIP (Hospital Records)
11. Mefjus- Surrounded (Critical)
12. Mefjus & Inside Info feat The Upbeats- Leibniz (Virus Recordings)
13. Calyx & Teebee- Strung Out remix (Ram Records)
14. Noisia- Dead Limit (Vision Recordings)
15. DJ Die- 1000 Soul Souls- Break remix (Gutterfunk)
16. Capone- Friday (Hard Leaders)
17. Dlr fear Break- Human Future (Dispatch Recordings)
18. Antrax- Untitled dub (Forthcoming A R Audio)
19. Meant To Be feat Grimm- Inside Info remix (Spearhead records)
20. Mefjus- Saturate- (Critical Music}
21. Safety in Numbers & Subtle Element- Inca (Transmission Audio)
22. Spectrasoul- Ben (Shogun Audio)
23. Spectrasoul- Supression (Subtitles)
24. Teddy Killers- Space Junk (Ram Records)
25. Seismix- Reload (Viper Recordings)
26. Optiv & BTK- Ghosts (Blackout Music NL)
27. Exposure feat Lily Lunan- Dark Eyes (forthcoming A R Audio)
28. Noisia- Dead Limit (Vision Recordings)
29. Quadrant, Kid Hops, Iris feat Collette Warren- Eternal September (Commercial Suicide)
30. Himalia- Distances (Despicable Youth remix- Forhcoming Pegdoll)